A PLACE TO PAUSE -WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT?
During the past year we have all endured so much & whilst not all this experience has been negative, I see how now as we start to open up our lives once more that not all of us will feel comfortable doing so & we may find that we need an outlet or a sanctuary to just ‘be’ & pause & by giving ourselves this precious time we can then be more present for others that may need us & feel more balanced in our everyday lives. This is exactly the reason for this addition to our website & HQ, I want to use the valuable skills brought to me by my Reiki master & my past experience to offer a sense of calm, clarity & balance to others if I am able, either in person by inviting you to our new Happy Quarters ‘Place to Pause’ or online via our websites ‘health suite’ so you can ‘pause’ at your leisure at home or on the move.
S’all about you!
If you’re interested & would like to learn more about Reiki & Breathwork please read on, however i realise that as you learn more sometimes these practices can appear to be a bit out there, hippy like or even mystical but in my sessions I will always keep the time tailored to your needs & pace, whether you want a spiritual connection that delves inward or a simple switch off, chill & unwind. Please check out the different packages on offer or if you’d prefer something bespoke that perhaps incorporates simple, effective stretches combined with Breathwork &/or Reiki please don’t hesitate to book a consultation. We’ll always go with what feels good for you “GO WITH THE FLOW” “GWTF BABY!”
What is Reiki?
Reiki is a Japanese healing technique that helps to reduce stress, enhance the quality of life and improve one’s health. It’s simple and safe and treats the whole person including the mind, body, emotions and spirit. It’s done by laying the hands lightly on, or just above, a fully clothed body.
A subtle energy flows from the hands of the practitioner into the client to activate their body’s natural healing processes. It’s based on the idea that an unseen “life force energy” flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If your “life force energy” is low, then you’re more likely to get sick or feel anxiety, and if it is high, you’re more capable of being happy and healthy. Reiki is a natural tool for raising one’s energy and can be used for self-healing and helping others.
*Benefits of Reiki.
Reiki is most commonly used to ease pain, anxiety, fatigue, and depression and to reconnect to your energy.
Although some effects of Reiki are measurable, such as a slower heart rate, lower blood pressure and a drop in stress hormones, most of the benefits of repeated Reiki sessions are less quantifiable such as a sense of spiritual connection, enhanced self-esteem, improved overall well-being and accelerated healing. Reiki sessions are wonderful compliments to conventional medicine and is of growing interest to chiropractors, medical doctors, physiotherapists, psychotherapists, psychologists and hypnotherapists.
Some benefits of a Reiki energy treatment…
- Helps cleanse toxins and supports the immune system : Reiki has been used to treat conditions such as cancer, chronic fatigue, heart disease, infertility, and neurodegenerative disorders.
- Helps relieve pain and supports the physical body healing : Reiki improves your body’s vital functions (breathing, digesting and sleeping) so they function optimally. Reiki helps to relieve physical pain from migraines, arthritis, injuries, among others. It also helps with symptoms of asthma, chronic fatigue, menopausal symptoms, and insomnia. The body’s natural healing processes are activated by working directly on the problem and condition instead of just masking or relieving symptoms.
- Promotes harmony and balance : Reiki balances the flow of subtle energy on the deepest possible level by releasing blockages and healing mental and emotional wounds. It can help alleviate mood swings, fear, frustration and even anger.
- Creates deep relaxation and helps release stress : Reiki provides a relaxed space where you become more present with your body and energy. Your breathing, heart rate and blood pressure improve, making way for feelings of peace and calm, while helping you sleep better.
- Strengthens acceptance, compassion and patience : Reiki enables a better response to situations, people and one’s self rather than acting out of habit.
- Helps spiritual growth : You don’t need to be spiritual for Reiki to create profound, often subtle shifts from deep within your own being. Reiki is a system for spiritual growth and personal development. By integrating the Five Ideals of Reiki into your practice, you’re enriching not only yourself but also developing a profound awareness of others.
- Compliments all other medical and therapeutic techniques : Now embraced by the functional medical community, Reiki will not cure illnesses or disease, but it may help your body to feel more relaxed and peaceful. You may receive Reiki treatments if you are undergoing chemotherapy. Pregnant woman and their unborn babies can both benefit from Reiki treatments through all stages of the pregnancy. Always seek advise from your doctor or specialist. Be very wary of any Reiki practitioner who advises you to abandon your conventional medical treatment.
We breathe on average 25,000 times a day! We take it for granted. It takes a health crisis or bad air quality for us to appreciate this basic, yet profound ability. Yoga, meditation and other relaxation techniques all depend on focusing on the breath and proper breathing is an important part of learning how to calm the mind and body.
The benefits of bringing attention to your breathing are measurable. By learning a few simple breathing techniques, you can:
- Reduce stress levels in your body
- Lower your heart rate
- Lower your blood pressure
- Improve diabetic symptoms
- Reduce depression
- Better manage chronic pain
- Better regulate your body’s reaction to stress and fatigue
There are a vast number of methods and practices that focus on the breath. They all concentrate on various aspects of health and mental wellbeing. Many are easily available and easy to learn. Some you can do on your own and others are best practiced with a trained professional. It all depends on how deep you want to go.
Here’s the breathing techniques used in my sessions:
- Mindful breathing involves becoming aware of your breath and focusing on it. It does not involve trying to change the way you breathe. However, the act of focusing on the breath usually slows down breathing patterns, making you feel more relaxed. As you focus on how air moves in and out through your lungs, mouth and nose, it becomes a form of calming meditation.
- Belly Breath strengthens the diaphragm. Also called Diaphragmatic Breathing it lowers your heart rate & blood pressure, helps in managing the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, insomnia & depression. One of the biggest benefits is reducing anxiety.
- Box Breath also known as square breathing, is a technique used when taking slow, deep breaths. It can heighten performance and concentration while also being a powerful stress reliever.
- Alternate Nostril Breathing this type of breath work can be done as part of a yoga or meditation practice, known as Nadi Shodhana Pranayama, but can also be done as its own practice to help you quiet your mind & settle your emotions. Other benefits include lowering anxiety levels, improving lung function & respiratory endurance & promotes wellbeing.
- Extended Exhale Breathing or Whiskey Breathing brings the mind & body into a deep state of relaxation, a switch off button. This is particularly helpful if you’re experiencing sleeplessness due to anxiety or worries about what happened today — or what might happen tomorrow. Swirling thoughts and concerns can keep us from being able to rest well. This technique forces the mind and body to focus on regulating the breath, rather than replaying your worries when you lie down at night, it can soothe a racing heart or calm frazzled nerves.
- Coffee Breath is extremely energising, banishes any fogginess, wakes you up, and prepares your body for activity and exercise by expelling carbon dioxide & increasing oxygen in the body. its a sinus clearer too so you may need to keep a tissue handy for this one!
- Extended Inhale Breathing has similar benefits to the Coffee Breath but with a much steadier more gentle approach
*Using Breathwork & Reiki together
Once you start breathing, your energy gets shaken up. The breath is so powerful that within minutes of Breathwork you can start experiencing a variety of physical sensations including hot sweats or cold chills, cramps in your hands, waves of pulsations and tingling throughout your body. These physical sensations are commonplace when the body is releasing blocked energy, past traumas or stress. When energy passageways are blocked, positive energy cannot flow to certain parts of the body, which results in mood swings, fear, anger, pain, and more. Reiki and Breathwork act together focusing on the cause of these blockages, breaking them up and washing away any negative thoughts or feelings that are stuck in the unconscious mind/body. As the normal healthy flow of energy resumes, passageways clear up and symptoms disappear.